The Moosader Community

Visit the IRC at irc.freenode.net #Moosader! Community dedicated to programming and game development! Moosader.com
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LoA - Land of Asciia
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:48 pm 
Goomba
Goomba

Hello everyone,

Just recently I finished my semester project for the university and I thought why not share it with as many people as I can. It is an ascii rpg of sort. If you are interested download links and a little whats this all about are avaliable at my blog at http://www.freamcoding.blogspot.com

Some screenshot:

In case any bug, question comes up do let me know, they most likely will help me to make my next program even better.

Post subject: Re: LoA - Land of Asciia
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm 
Zora
Zora

I'm sure I'm just kinda stupid. But I can't realy tell what is what. I opened the readme but I couldn't find an explanation of what the different symbols mean.
I ASSUME a "@" means that's an enemy of some sort. And I ASSUME the red and blue colored fields represent different heat placed (cold and hot).
but it's never mentioned (I rechecked the readme and also your blog-post).
Also: Why the EXACT value of "North" etc? Wouldn't it be possible to ignore this and just convert everything to uppercase?
I found this small code within 2 minutes. It converts a given string into it's uppercase version:
Code:
void convertToUpperCase(char *sPtr)
{
    while(*sPtr != '\0')
    *sPtr = toupper((unsigned char)*sPtr);
}

But aside from that, it seems pretty cool. Just that I'm too stupid for this kind of games.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:41 pm 
Goomba
Goomba

You are absolutely right I should just convert every input to upper case, will do that first thing after my classes tomorow!

You was also right about the red and blue zones, they do mean mountains and lakes wich are hotter, colder. The icon @ just meant as some decoration so the whole map is not empty. I include these in the readme tonight, thanks for your feedback! :)

Ps: I have a habbit of forgetting I only know what is what in my programs cause I wrote them, working on getting over that and including all the necessary information in readme files! :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:05 pm 
Zora
Zora

I just noticed you got a YouTube Channel. Maybe you can make a small video of your game and upload it there?

If you don't know what tool to use for an "easy" screencast, I'd recommend "CamStudio" or "OpenBroadcaster Software".
Both are free. But compared to OBS, CamStudio is kinda slow. Even though OBS is mainly for games, it can be used for screencasts as well. I've uploaded a video using this tool already. ;)
The downside is, it's not as easy to setup as CamStudio. =/
Anyway, since you're developing games and you're part of this small community, I guess I just follow you on twitter. xD

Good luck with the coding! :)

// Edit: I can't follow you. The search says: No such user. :O
// Edit2: You should update your signature. It says "@FreamLipper" not "@freamcoding". NOW I'm following you. xD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:28 pm 
Goomba
Goomba

I wasn't sure about making a video of an ascii game, I just know too many people who freaks out if they dont see atleast half a million 3D object in a video :D, but you have a point, it would make it easier to understand the gameplay.

Thanks for the follow, and I fixed my signature! :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:34 pm 
Zora
Zora

Fream wrote:
I just know too many people who freaks out if they dont see atleast half a million 3D object in a video :D

Those people will NEVER download your game. Realy. ;)

Fream wrote:
Thanks for the follow, and I fixed my signature! :)

I noticed. Just to have it mentioned: Since I'm REALY new to Twitter (never tweeted anything so far), I suggest not to follow me. (just in case). xD
BTW: Would you mind if I TRY to understand the code and then try to recreate it using HTML5? With different graphics and controlls ... Just to get the gist of creating games using JavaScript. xD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:47 am 
Goomba
Goomba

anihex wrote:
I noticed. Just to have it mentioned: Since I'm REALY new to Twitter (never tweeted anything so far), I suggest not to follow me. (just in case). xD

But once you might will! One way or the other it wont hurt me. :)

anihex wrote:
BTW: Would you mind if I TRY to understand the code and then try to recreate it using HTML5? With different graphics and controlls ... Just to get the gist of creating games using JavaScript. xD

Not at all, I always include the source so everyone can try and learn/make something new with it... Then curse me for my incoherent way of doing things. I really need to plan things out before just jumping into the code, but where is the fun in that... :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:16 am 
Zora
Zora

Fream wrote:
But once you might will! One way or the other it wont hurt me. :)
I use TweetDeck since I'm too lazy to keep a tab in Firefox open. When I posted my answer I noticed it was too late already. :)

Fream wrote:
Not at all, I always include the source so everyone can try and learn/make something new with it... Then curse me for my incoherent way of doing things. I really need to plan things out before just jumping into the code, but where is the fun in that... :P

According to an article from Christer Kaitila about creating one game a month fun is the most important factor in developing games. If you lose the fun, you'll hurt yourself more than it's good for you. And the thing with the source code ... Just because you release your source code doesn't mean everyone can do what they want with it. :lol:
I mean ... Take a look at Lightworks. It's Open-Source, yet the "Community-Version" is waaaaay behind the paid versions. :(
Anyway. My Keyboard-Class is almost done anyway (for now at least). Maybe I can use your game for testing it out a bit more than showing "Yeah ... You pressed that button. Congratz!" :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:33 pm 
Goomba
Goomba

Well, drop me a message if you need help with something in the code. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:44 pm 
Zora
Zora

I think I'll take a look at it after my video tests are done. (LoiLo Game Recorder + FFmpeg + Lightworks = FTW?)
Like I said my "controller-class" is almost done. Only one function remains. And then .... I can move to my StateStack ...
There are a few things I want to try. Like Isometric Rendering and RPG Combat. So I guess I'll pick it up as soon as I can.

[OT]
Did you get my message in Twitter? Did it work? Or am I too stupid for this? xD
And if you didn't revieve my message: Interessted in forming a small team #1GAM in 2014?
Since we're in the same timezone ... ;)
[/OT]