The Moosader Community

Visit the IRC at irc.freenode.net #Moosader! Community dedicated to programming and game development! Moosader.com
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should ArtSader Exist?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

ArtSader is pretty much stagnant at this point, mainly my own fault for bad programming, laziness, and apathy.

Is there a desire to keep it around as-is?

Is there a desire to have a new ArtSader built with anyone able to register an account and post or request assets?

Is there any point when other, bigger sites exist?

Is there anyone here who would be interested in contributing quality sprites, 3d models, fonts, music, sound effects, etc. to the site?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:45 am 
Psychonaut

Quote:
ArtSader is pretty much stagnant at this point, mainly my own fault for bad programming, laziness, and apathy.

What is there works fine for me and the design is easy on the eyes so you certainly aren't doing a bad job there. It does seem to have been a while since any serious work has been done on it so if you are feeling bad about it and have time...fix 'er up! ;)

Quote:
Is there a desire to keep it around as-is?

The features so far ( as well as what's listed on the "What is coming" section ) make it a very nice little corner on the Internet for anyone to get good quality assets. You said yourself it was stagnant but I'm not sure if that means nobody is posting/emailing new assets to be listed, the development of the features on ArtSader has stopped, or if nobody is downloading and searching them.

If nobody is posting new assets it might just be everyone in the community that would post some aren't making any or have forgotten it existed which might also explain any lack of downloading and searches performed. It says on ArtSader's home page that you want to make it tie in more with the community so as it is being developed with that in mind it will most likely become more active. You are the only one developing it at the moment so if you see no more desire for its continued existence you should be the one to pull the plug.

Quote:
Is there a desire to have a new ArtSader built with anyone able to register an account and post or request assets?

On the about page of ArtSader there's a feature listed that you want to add which allows people to request or contribute to it via a form. If it's basically the same as making a new thread and requesting an asset or making a thread and posting an asset then this was already on your to-do list 8-) . Right now the filter for the contribution is through you and for requesting ( if there is any ) most likely through email directly to you or a new thread on the community forum. If anybody can request/contribute, will there be moderation there or a process to give the seal of approval on a new contribution to avoid spam or to have the assets on a certain quality standard? I'd hate to be the one to filter based on quality since there are so many different art styles out there ( if you had to do it like that I wouldn't envy your job :lol: ).

Quote:
Is there any point when other, bigger sites exist?

I'd say there's a good point to be had with having an entire asset site created and contributed to by the community and ties into the game dev competitions and other crazy stuff we do. I've made many assets for my own projects though since I don't see them as great quality I doubt I could post what I've currently made. However several games that get created for the competitions that their assets end up in a folder on the artists computer would find great use in ArtSader so that they can spread their art to other community members. All this probably doesn't really answer the question but the bigger and more general the site and the more detached it is from a certain community the less personal it gets and so far ArtSader is pretty personal to the Moosader community and will only be more so once community features and events tie to it as it grows.

Quote:
Is there anyone here who would be interested in contributing quality sprites, 3d models, fonts, music, sound effects, etc. to the site?

As stated above I've made my own assets most of the time with music being what I usually don't make since the last few projects I actually did finish there were amazing artists from ( you guessed it ) the Moosader community who were awesome enough to let me use their music. Some people have called my work "stuff you would see a 3rd grader draw" which I can admit I'm not great. I'm interested none the less so if whatever I have made or will make can be considered decent enough to contribute I'd be more than happy to do so.

So with hitting every question that's my take on it. Nobody but you is paying for the hosting and development of ArtSader excluding donations on this as I only noticed two have donated and it has been around for a while. If you feel the work and money isn't worth it or feel it would be much better to just take a bite on a bigger site then it's your call. It's awesome that you have been even working on such a thing and even more awesome that you want the community involved and want their input so to that my hat is off to you :D .

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

What about this, all ? --

What if ArtSader is just an aggregator site that pulls your open-licensed art from GitHub?
So, you would create a repository and sign up on ArtSader, providing your Repo name. That way, you can update and maintain your own art freely. (Sample repo: https://github.com/Moosader/Copyfree-Art)

Then, using the GitHub API I can pull folders and files (so, maybe folders are categories and files will be pulled in under those categories) ArtSader simply provides a nice interface for showing multiple users' artwork.

It would take less programming work, much less infrastructure, and will be easier overall for people to maintain their own work.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:53 pm 
Eater of Comics
Eater of Comics

Rachel wrote:
What about this, all ? --

What if ArtSader is just an aggregator site that pulls your open-licensed art from GitHub?
So, you would create a repository and sign up on ArtSader, providing your Repo name. That way, you can update and maintain your own art freely. (Sample repo: https://github.com/Moosader/Copyfree-Art)

Then, using the GitHub API I can pull folders and files (so, maybe folders are categories and files will be pulled in under those categories) ArtSader simply provides a nice interface for showing multiple users' artwork.

It would take less programming work, much less infrastructure, and will be easier overall for people to maintain their own work.

So much this ^

I hardly ever do art, but when I do I never think to send it to ArtSader, if all I had to do was set it up with a git space that would be so much easier to remember and actually do. Art is one thing I've really been wanting to get back into.

BlackPhantom wrote:
"And the lord said let there be videos! And he saw it was awesome." -Awsome 1:12

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:50 pm 
Psychonaut

Secr228CHAPBettXVIIHenrPierGilbDenyXVIIGuitGregTertTescJohnChriBrotSkarMASTClicZoneWhitJuliAnatTesc
TescFallNaivRaffImmoDivoJeweDoctXVIILinuRootSeasJumpFreeXIIISylvOralXVIINataTituNatuOracAnnaRosaUnde
HearYourActiElwoCircblacGentKapoAwakavanSelaElleBryaIgorThisJohnDancVoguMattSoftToisMarcLateLakaELEG
BoleColiLuigWindZoneZoneJackLouiXVIIKarlZoneWorlAndeSonjRudyZoneFlowdiamWillBriaScotByunAlaiZoneBorn
ZoneZoneZoneJameHenrSpicZonePhoeZoneZoneXVIIZonePeteZoneZoneZoneKolnPentFLASHDMIRakeBoscElecBackMagi
BookPolaPostEricCrisWelcOlmeBeflARAGNISSNetsnervJazzValiRIVECreaUntaHellFirsSTYLfreeSaleTefaBoomRedm
ViteSleeFrisXXIIGeofCactFantConcXVIIlessBlueCabrGhosDuttKarlAlbrForeEmilWhenPonyKindLaurJameLeonLord
BillBrokContTimoBirtPierMartRajnWindmotiRandStepBusiDigiComiEnjoArthMartWillStaeGillGrahWillSailStra
ExceThesSusaBentThemFLASFLASFLASDonaNiccGilbScarMarkWantWindTracCummVisuAgnoCityStudCoun