The Moosader Community

Visit the IRC at irc.freenode.net #Moosader! Community dedicated to programming and game development! Moosader.com
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me understand beats
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:50 am 
Undine
Undine

I'm trying read up on music theory in the hope that I will one day be able to compose my own music for my games. I'm a total beginner so there are many things I will have to learn but I'm struggling to understand the simple concept of what a beat is.

I know that the upper number in a time signature says how many beats there are in a bar. Some of the beats are stronger and some are weaker e.g. in 4/4 the first is strong, the third is less strong and the rest are weak, but I don't understand what that means in practice.

Are beats something that the composer should emphasize by the way the notes are laid out (e.g. start long notes on strong beats)? Or is it something that the person who plays the music should think about (e.g. hit the key harder when a note starts on a strong beat)?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:52 pm 
Psychonaut

Twil228.89CHAPBettHerbNoctMultGilbDenylangGuitMurpXVIITescJohnXVIIMystSkarPRESIdeaZoneXVIIJuliGeorTesc
DigiButtLuxeRaffSlayPartDaddDoctXVIIHowaGlorBesaConfFreeChogSummByreWillBollTituNatuKarlMartBranUnde
RaisCapiwwwnCircOsirLuxoWilbKapoSuchavanSelaElleToshXVIIAcidFranDancPhilSignJeweLoviSonyJeweFallELEG
XVIIEdgaLuigWindZoneZoneJackDefoPodkJageZoneTomaAndeThorRudyZoneJUDASwarWillXIIIScotRennAlaiZoneOkke
ZoneZoneZoneGeorXVIIinfoZoneXVIIZoneZoneFranZoneForsZoneZoneZoneLondPentCMOSHDMIAnnaBoscAskoBackSega
BookPolaLoveKantDaliWindOlmeBeflARAGTOYOMPEGEvidEthnValiRIVECreaMoneHellSoleSTYLWindSaleTefaKathRedm
UnitSleeAdvaXXVIWilbHappXVIIAlleXVIIBrucIntiCabrArmaForeMichXVIICoroEmilAutoObokErikIvanDaveOlegFair
BillThunBillDolbMarkPierTeodRajnWindmotiSPMNFavoBritWestthreEnjoArthMartWillMissEugeGrahGeorJuliStra
VIIIWishLindRobeThemCMOSCMOSCMOSDisnViteTexaWantHansJeffTimeWhenCummCarlPaulBleeStudDesp