The Moosader Community

Visit the IRC at irc.freenode.net #Moosader! Community dedicated to programming and game development! Moosader.com
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

What do you think would be a good idea?
Keep the forum as-is! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Simplify the forum! 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Make a subreddit! 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Encourage more posting in the G+ / FB groups! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: Future of Moosader Board
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hey everyone --

I don't know how you all feel, but it seems like in the age of social media and such, it can be really hard to get myself to log into a proper message board, check threads, and respond.

I do see some forums with vaguely recent posts, but a lot of it is dormant, so I was wondering what could be done to make the community a more accessible place (nobody wants to join a dead message board).

A few thoughts I had -
* No matter what, I can make the board read-only and have it stay online as an archive, as a reference for everyone.
* It is kind of a pain to have to moderate message boards, which require pretty heavy moderation because they're such a target for spambots.
* I could possibly look into a way to have OpenID sign in with a PhpBB, which might cut down on spam bots bombarding the board, though I know the current captcha seems to work OK.

Option 1. Leave the board As-Is
But I don't think it will get any better with this. (I guess this option is, "let it die").

Option 2. Clone the board, clean it up
There is so little activity and so many forums on the board, it seems like it is in need of a cleanup. Perhaps, with the current board archived in read-only mode, I can clone the DB and the board and make a new "Version", cleaning it up --
  • Less forums - more concise, possibly focused primarily on Q&A, Member Showcase, and general discussion.
  • Perhaps write some sort of automation that will aggregate Moosader news around the web to a "Moosader News" forum, so it all leads back to here.

Option 3. Make a Subreddit (or similar type of deal elseware)
We could make some sort of, /r/MoosaderAndFriends subreddit, if many of our users are Redditors. Since Reddit has many subreddits, it is easier to have a little nook on a website that people will visit regularly, instead of having to go to a dedicated forum for.

Option 4. Encourage increase in use of the FB and G+ groups
There are Moosader groups in each of these places, but not much goes on there. (Honestly I have no idea how these FB groups and stuff work, or pages vs. groups, or whatever), but we could encourage more project posts here.

I don't like how FB/G+ want real names, however, so at least with Reddit you can use a handle.

What do you all think?

*edit*
I've set up a Trello board at https://trello.com/b/9Ei8OiXF/moosader-community-board

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:01 pm 
White Mage
White Mage

Yeah, either clean up the board or make a subreddit. I dunno which one is actually better, but I think that a subreddit might attract more attention since accounts are centralized. I really don't have much more of an oppinion tbh...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:18 am 
Black Mage
Black Mage

Would a subreddit be less maintenance for you? Also I don't know how active people are on facebook/g+ so i don't know how useful those would be to our community. I miss the game dev comps we had here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:49 am 
Site Admin

I'm not sure how we would organize, discuss projects, and post our entries for a competition with a subreddit, the format is so different from a board.

I guess I've been part of one game jam that way, and updates would be posted on the subreddit and people submitted their work via website/email, so it wasn't located ON Reddit itself.

Des Tomate wrote:
Would a subreddit be less maintenance for you?

Honestly, yeah it probably would be. I think moderating one subreddit would be a lot easier, and I haven't really seen bot spam on Reddit before, so it's not like we'd need a mini-army to make read through every "introduction" post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:03 am 
Site Admin

I also want to know how many of you already have Reddit accounts.

You can register one without even putting in an email account if you want. Sometimes Reddit gets a bad rap, but there are a lot of subreddits for whatever interests you have. I'm mostly subscribed to /r/Esperanto and such. ;P

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/

https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:49 am 
Site Admin

Myke made a good point, in the FB link I posted.

Quote:
If you relocate the issue of moderation will just follow you to your new home, Reddit, Facebook and the like won't be about forever - it's nice to exist outside of that ecosystem.

I don't think you can keep up the same intense kind of energy when the community isn't under your own roof.

It'd be nice to set-up shop on Reddit or somewhere though because it'll be accessible to more folk. I think if you went down that route we'd have to pull together as a community and start to generate some new fresh content to reel in the whippersnappers! Make an impact, y'know?

I find this to be a pretty good argument for still having an off-site message board. Perhaps, during the clean up, I can take steps to modernize it.

For example, perhaps we could make the subreddit, and then I can write a script to pull any new Reddit threads and post it to a "/r/Moosader" forum on the board, so members can see if there are new posts elseware. We could do the same for Twitter, either with #Moosader posts, or just have a list of active members when they tag #GameDev in their tweets.

A complaint that Mike had, was:

Quote:
You have to do a lot sifting and squinting to see "fresh" threads on the current site

I will have to look into a way to make new threads more accessible. There is an "unanswered posts" link, but that isn't necessarily the newest latest. Perhaps we could make the top half of the forum look somewhat like Reddit, where it would show the latest 10 threads, and then below you would have the forums.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Myke has also suggested Slack. It does look quite polished, and could be an option. Especially if we want to pull in content from other sites.

https://slack.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206480347-Getting-started-with-Slack

https://slack.com/integrations

Since RSS is available, PhpBB could also somehow be linked to Slack. :B

Unless a user could register and join on their own, it might not be what we're looking for though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:20 am 
Undine
Undine

It's sad, but I have seen forums becoming inactive and disappear before... :( I have always preferred forums and I don't use social media like Facebook, Google+ or reddit so if Moosader moves there you will probably not see much of me, but if that's what people are using these days, then go ahead!

I think the forums might have had a bit more visits if you had let Google index the forum threads. As it is now people will have to find the forums through other sites (the main site, or links from social media).

Spambots shouldn't be that hard to stop, even without a visual CAPTCHA. Bots are stupid so by renaming the form field names you can trick the spambots into filling out the forms incorrectly. This does not stop human spammers but as an extra protection you could disallow posting URLs before the user has been accepted by a moderator and/or a post count is reached. Then you would probably no longer need to force new users to post in the introduction (if it's still a requirement).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:48 am 
Site Admin

What I'm thinking at the moment is this -

I like having a message board as a standalone, independent page. Not everybody is on Facebook or Google or Reddit or whatever else. But many people are. And I do want this content available, for example when someone updates their itch.io account to have a new game.

I would much rather see a centralized message board, but with links to where a lot of other activity exists. Like a web-hub for our gamedev stuff and other projects.

I would perhaps like to rebuild the PhpBB, and have the main page of the board look like this:

Latest Threads*
This is a modified forum to show the latest forum posts by thread creation date, to imitate a board like Reddit where you can easily find new content.

General Discussion
This is a normal forum

Showcase
This is a normal forum for talking about what you're working on - games, art, apps, music, etc.

Questions & Answers
This is a normal forum for asking questions about anything.

Web Feed*
This is a modified forum to show latest updates from members' various feeds. Members can configure what feeds appear - for example, their GitHub commit RSS, Twitter, Blog Posts, and more.

Game Jams*
This is a modified forum to pull information from itch.io, which has support for creating game jams. There will be the standard message board portion for discussion, but also links to latest game jam information integrated in.

Events*
This is a modified forum that has anything with events integrated - Steam, Google+, etc. so members can see upcoming hangouts, gaming sessions, etc.

YouTube*
This is a modified forum that pulls the latest YouTube uploads from members (if they add in their YouTube account) and posts threads automatically for each. Videos should be viewable from within the thread post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:09 pm 
White Mage
White Mage

Yeah, that seems like a pretty good format. I'd be up for it!