The Moosader Community

Visit the IRC at irc.freenode.net #Moosader! Community dedicated to programming and game development! Moosader.com
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:12 am 
Zora
Zora

Just thought I point out a problem for your convenience, there's no TextManager source in the repository, so I can't compile, I checked the google code and ti isn't there either.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:53 am 
Goblin
Goblin

same...
On a side note... I'm currently working on a Gui system for it(and not only for it).I've got but scratches now.. but hopefully it'll behave just as I want it to. Looks good on paper... :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:27 am 
Site Admin

programmerinprogress wrote:
Just thought I point out a problem for your convenience, there's no TextManager source in the repository, so I can't compile, I checked the google code and ti isn't there either.

Yeah. I meant to add that last night but I got distracted. >_>;
I should set up a SSH to my compy so I can do stuff like that from work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:43 am 
Zora
Zora

adikid89 wrote:
same...
On a side note... I'm currently working on a Gui system for it(and not only for it).I've got but scratches now.. but hopefully it'll behave just as I want it to. Looks good on paper... :)

This excites me greatly :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:12 pm 
Goblin
Goblin

WOOOOOOOO!! :D :D :D
Sneak preview of the gui system :D !
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6123/woooo.png

Functionality right now:
You can add the base widgets, which basically don't do much :D. But they can be draw on the screen, and can be focused bringing one in front of the rest! :D AWESOME! :lol:
How difficult is it to use? Well... Here's a typical usage of it :D
Code:
//create widgets
  gui::Widget widget;
  gui::Widget widget2;
//set their attributes, the base widget class doesn't have too many :P
  widget.SetPos(100,200);
  widget2.SetPos(150,250);
//add the widgets either directly in the manager, making them main widgets,
//either on another widget making it a child of that widget
  gui::GuiManager::GetSingleton().AddWidget("basic_widget",&widget);
  gui::GuiManager::GetSingleton().AddWidget("basic_widget2",&widget2);

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:15 pm 
Niccolo
Niccolo

adikid89 wrote:

Functionality right now:
You can add the base widgets, which basically don't do much :D. But they can be draw on the screen, and can be focused bringing one in front of the rest! :D AWESOME! :lol:
Code:
//create widgets
  widget.SetPos(100,200);
  widget2.SetPos(150,250);

Sounds pretty cool, but do you think it will have any real use aside from the menu screen (just curious, because it seems like you don't need a whole "gui" library)?
Also, you should use static functions instead of a singleton. It's cleaner, and OO freaks should have no reason to bitch at you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

Ginto8 wrote:
adikid89 wrote:

Functionality right now:
Code:
//create widgets
  widget.SetPos(100,200);
  widget2.SetPos(150,250);

Sounds pretty cool, but do you think it will have any real use aside from the menu screen (just curious, because it seems like you don't need a whole "gui" library)?
Also, you should use static functions instead of a singleton. It's cleaner, and OO freaks should have no reason to bitch at you.

Yeah, I've talked to a few people about this. Bakkon likes the Static methods, but my coworker likes the Singletons because they can inherit or something... I don't know, I'll have to reask him :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:37 am 
Goblin
Goblin

Ginto8 wrote:

Well... it'll have lots of real uses... Right now it doesn't do anything, but hopefully I'll get more features up and going once a figure out a good way of making the widgets communicate[insert ideas here]. Here are some things it'd be useful at: I intent to make a line_edit widget, which will get text input. Score display, the menu etc.
It'll also be useful because I'll be able to use it in other projects too :D .
And yeah.. didn't really think much about the static thingy... I'm kinda a Singleton fan.. since managers are usually supposed to be unique... and what better way to show that it's supposed to be unique than the Singleton pattern :)

Later Edit:

First iteration of the gui system released :D WOOOO! :D . Still need to think about the design concept though... it needs to be pretty flexible :P. But it's semi-functional!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:11 am 
Goblin
Goblin

here's a gui update :D
===================

-added line_edit widget, button widget, label widget.
-made possible the movement of widgets using drag&drop //WOOOO :D :D

That's about it... I was thinking of what else I need to add.
Probably next to come is:
-make available the deletion of widgets
-show/hide widgets
-maybe a cursor for line edit

Also if someone could take a look at the gui system, maybe try it out, and tell me if they find it easy/intuitive to work with...If not I'll probably think of rewriting most of it :o :(.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:04 pm 
Zora
Zora

I downloaded from the repository, compiled it and ran it, however I had a minor issue you might want to look into.

on line 21 at Widget.cpp (and I think the error is repeated in the same kind of place in one of the other GUI components) I have some problems with the collision detection function, the compiler moans about passing a non-const Rectangle to the collision function, I think it's because you're creating a Rectangle on the stack and then passing its reference, the compiler didn't seem to like that, I was able to fix it simply by declaring the Rectangle before the function was called with the same arguments, and then just passing that, I guess this must be a problem that's dependent on your compiler, i'm using MinGW through the code::blocks IDE, but the problem is easy to solve, just thought I'd let you know, apart from that, I'd like to see where you go with this :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next