The Moosader Community

Visit the IRC at irc.freenode.net #Moosader! Community dedicated to programming and game development! Moosader.com
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hey there guys--

Pickin' Open Sticks is pretty dead, and I think the latest build doesn't even work.
It's not a really popular area on the internet; in the past month it's gotten about 130 views.
However, I don't really like the idea of simply leaving it broken and stagnant. At the same time, it's not priority for me and I don't have time to fix things up, as well as lead any willing team members and developing documentation.

So, if any of you guys are interested and think you would do an alright job, I'm offering a Project Lead role for this project-
Basically, you'd oversee the commiters and their commits, make sure they document their work or generally update the wiki as you see fit, dictate what gets added, and delegate tasks.

Any takers?

Google Code page: http://code.google.com/p/pickin-open-sticks/

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:15 pm 
The Swordmaster
The Swordmaster

If I had the time, but I'd need to know who's working on it :P

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:34 pm 
Psychonaut

Live-Dimension, it tells you who's working on the project ( or have contributed ) on the wiki.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:10 pm 
Smushed Goomba
Smushed Goomba

Here is a version I got to work on my machine. As for help I'd love to program, but its your project, your golden child. I would still need your involvement for the goals of this project. I don't mind leading people for ya, I do that at work all day :)

Btw I hate SVN >.< it is the devil I say!

Attachments:
File comment: A version that compiles for me...
pickin-open-sticks-read-only.tar.bz2 [174.66 KiB]
Downloaded 138 times

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:23 pm 
Psychonaut

Quote:
Btw I hate SVN >.< it is the devil I say!

Sounds a bit harsh to me. It's more of an asset for open projects in my opinion. When people are working on different parts of a project, it only seems reasonable to have the files you currently have locally on your system to be checked/compared to the most up-to-date version of the files/data currently given to the project. What if someone fixes a big bug, then updates the SVN data for others to be updated to as well. Then, you don't update and/or don't use the SVN and have to do the work they already did all over again, thus losing time and effort in the overall project.

That's my take on it, as ( to me ) it's the best way to keep a project alive and well with the latest changes, rather than uploading the files manually for each decent change you make. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:23 am 
Smushed Goomba
Smushed Goomba

Ninja,

If you ever used GIT, then you'd understand my position. I have used SVN but moved to GIT and more importantly Github. One of the best feature is to submit a change from the website, it will autofork, and send a pull request to the developer and the developer can accept it, then its automatically patched into the repo. I don't have to download the commit and apply it myself.

Example:
https://github.com/gorilla3d/Creeper/network I submitted a simple change to a repo, that repo sent it to the other repo... I never touched git, never downloaded a single file.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:17 am 
Psychonaut

I never knew of GIT, and upon looking at it, I like it. The added fact that it allows submissions of progress/change notes on a chart also add to it's worth. Though I'm still too used to using SVN, but at least now there's some back-up to your claim against SVN :D and that's all I wanted to know.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

I think that google code offers SVN and Mercurial. I prefer Mercurial because you have a personal repo and the project repo, but it might be a bit hard for people to get used to.

Anyway, I guess I could set up docs and define a direction, I just don't have the time to get the stuff implemented really well, and especially keep some form of cohesive team (though that's completely fluid, nobody has to be committed to the project for the entire lifecycle).

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:09 pm 
Smushed Goomba
Smushed Goomba

Mercurial is very close to GIT so I could deal with that :).

I can document the code, but a TODO list of your goal that you had for this project would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:23 am 
Goblin
Goblin

I still know just the most basic of version control. I used (at a basic level) svn and mercurial. Can someone explain the more advanced/interesting features/uses of svn/hg/git ?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next