The Moosader Community

Visit the IRC at irc.freenode.net #Moosader! Community dedicated to programming and game development! Moosader.com
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:57 am 
Rather Dashing
Rather Dashing

"Learn from those better than you, and from those worse than you."

I hope somebody is writing these down in a book or something.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:13 pm 
Eater of Comics
Eater of Comics

Got it all right here in my "Compendium of Coding Wisdom" (trademark pending)

BlackPhantom wrote:
"And the lord said let there be videos! And he saw it was awesome." -Awsome 1:12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:04 pm 
Smushed Goomba
Smushed Goomba

A lot of the replies here give good advice on creating the game itself? but what if you want to learn how to program a game engine? obviously you would have to learn a programming language to a reasonable level? but then what where would you start? If you were to break the process down into small chunks what would they be?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:32 pm 
Eater of Comics
Eater of Comics

Hoody wrote:
A lot of the replies here give good advice on creating the game itself? but what if you want to learn how to program a game engine? obviously you would have to learn a programming language to a reasonable level? but then what where would you start? If you were to break the process down into small chunks what would they be?

This is a very broad question. I guess the first thing would be to figure out what your engine is for. Will it be a reusable engine or do you have a specific game in mind that you want to mould this engine around? A reusable engine (not to say your engine for a specific game couldn't be reused) would mainly just consist of basic things like sprites, physics, maybe networking, the basic sort of things that all games need.

A game specific engine should focus on the basics, as well as features specific to your game. This being said you'll want a modular design. Something that's easy to add to. Really an engine depends on your goal.

As this is about advice for beginning game programmers, I would have to say an engine isn't something you should take on until you're comfortable with your language of choice and have a few games under your belt so that you understand how games function. This would allow you to take the pieces necessary for every game and put them into a design that is easily reusable and extendable. Its difficult to create an engine when you don't have a whole lot of game programming experience to begin with. You'll need to read up on designs and coding paradigms and find a style that suits your needs.

I hope my incoherent rambling made some kind of sense. I'm at work and my brain is thinking about too many things. Sorry about that.

BlackPhantom wrote:
"And the lord said let there be videos! And he saw it was awesome." -Awsome 1:12

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:30 pm 
Smushed Goomba
Smushed Goomba

Tips of coding in C++:

• Always plan out your structure before coding.
  • Do learn how pointers work. At least know how to use double pointers.
  • Study well on the STL containers.
  • http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/, the best place to understand what stl container does (for beginners who learn the basic of C++)
  • Use class for a component. Use struct for minor stuff like vector.
  • Organize the usage of your pointer well.
  • Have a good habit to const your parameter. (Especially when you are passing things in by &)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:49 pm 
Smushed Goomba
Smushed Goomba

I highly recommend learning VB.net before trying something like C# or C++.

VB.net is simple enough that you can easily learn it, yet allows you to grasp the fundamentals of programming structure and design. Once you walk out of VB.net an expert, elements of other languages such as C++ seem familiar and not such a foreign language.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:17 pm 
Koopa
Koopa

If you have a problem you can't solve, try talking it out with a friend, or one of us on IRC. Usually you will see the problem and call yourself an idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:48 am 
Eater of Comics
Eater of Comics

Nmb910 wrote:
If you have a problem you can't solve, try talking it out with a friend, or one of us on IRC. Usually you will see the problem and call yourself an idiot.

I've also been reading about this debugging method. I've done it before although I was talking to myself not a duck...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging

its actually a pretty good substitute for human interaction haha

BlackPhantom wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:53 am 
Koopa
Koopa

I hadn't heard that there was a term for this until now. :0
Interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:09 am 
Smushed Goomba
Smushed Goomba

I'm a noob but I guess I can add how I learn "game programming".
I don't really do games.

I do small projects focused on different aspects of games. Such as UI handling, map handling, sprite animation handling, gamestates.
And I keep these separate because god knows you will only become overwhelmed if you keep adding all this to a project. I'd rather wait and when I feel I got all the feats down, then I can combine them all into something.

I guess this might be easier if you really want to learn how things work behind the scenes and not just wanna make the next super mario bros or whatever as fast as possible.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next