The Moosader Community

Visit the IRC at irc.freenode.net #Moosader! Community dedicated to programming and game development! Moosader.com
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What motivates you?
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

I saw this asked on #reddit-gamedev, so I'm going to expand it:

What motivates you to make games.
Also, how far are you in school (jr high, highschool, university, done...)

Post subject: Re: What motivates you?
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:14 pm 
Black Mage
Black Mage

Ooof, that's a long story, lol. I guess I like the challenge and the feeling of accomplishment. I'm a recovering slacker, and I had a real bad time a couple years ago. I decided I just HAD to do SOMETHING with my wasted potential. So, I locked myself in my room with a stack of programming books and a coffee maker, and came out about a year later with a pong clone. Seeing that I had the brains and the discipline to teach myself something like programming, and actually do something with it, kinda brought me outta my funk. So now I'm kinda addicted to learning more and seeing how far I can go with it. As far as school, I'm in my second year at college as a programming major. I'd love to go into game development professionally, but I'm not bankin' on it, hence the general computer programming major.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

Archendrus wrote:
Ooof, that's a long story, lol. I guess I like the challenge and the feeling of accomplishment. I'm a recovering slacker, and I had a real bad time a couple years ago. I decided I just HAD to do SOMETHING with my wasted potential. So, I locked myself in my room with a stack of programming books and a coffee maker, and came out about a year later with a pong clone. Seeing that I had the brains and the discipline to teach myself something like programming, and actually do something with it, kinda brought me outta my funk. So now I'm kinda addicted to learning more and seeing how far I can go with it. As far as school, I'm in my second year at college as a programming major. I'd love to go into game development professionally, but I'm not bankin' on it, hence the general computer programming major.

Kudos, sounds really good!

I wanted to work in the game industry originally, but I also went into plain Computer Science. I'm incredibly happy I did; I like having more choices, and I'm not sure if I'll ever want to make games for anybody besides myself. :P

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:04 pm 
Larc
Larc

Me? On its most simple level I just want to give up and play. Imagination, creativity - all that fun stuff, it isn't the real world which is a little too hard to grasp, or do anything useful with. The machine lets me take that what's in my head and make it somewhat tangible.

Another reason is I can't afford to be a drunk/junkie. Programming is free, so it wins.

Ideally I'd like to make games for a living, but as one of those indie auteur types. Realistically, I'll probably resume rotting in my corner of the world, dabbling with the magic in this here machine, till I expire. I'll keep dabbling though as I'm idealistic.

Archendrus wrote:

Keep sluggin' Arch, bro. ;D

Moosie, you haven't told us your inspiration.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

Ploe wrote:

The ladies. It's all for th' ladies.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:54 am 
Black Mage
Black Mage

Thanks guys =D

Moosader wrote:

Kudos, sounds really good!

I wanted to work in the game industry originally, but I also went into plain Computer Science. I'm incredibly happy I did; I like having more choices, and I'm not sure if I'll ever want to make games for anybody besides myself. :P

I hear ya! I would like to have some sort of programming job, but I almost don't want to ruin the fun of game development by doing it for a living, lol. We'll see though.

Moosader wrote:

LOL! XD

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:35 am 
Yellow Elephant
Yellow Elephant

Writing code (for myself, not at work) simply is the most fun thing to do in my life, by a large margin. It's an art form to me, expressing myself. Similar to things like making music or to painting. Guess this is also why I'm not at all interested in learning standard languages like C++, the more uncommon my code is the more I like it :)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Admin

OK, so putting more thought into this...

As a kid, I've always just loved anything Computer. I first discovered the glowy beige boxes at a childrens' museum in Seattle and fell in love by playing Millie's Math House (I must have been like 5 or something). Initiate begging for a family computer.
I also remember checking out lots of books from the library on computers- from Basic to Computer Graphics to stuff like the Amiga, even though I didn't have one. Our first comp was some Win 3.1 thing.
When I was 10, my brother decided he wanted to be a "game programmer", so I decided I wanted to be, too. Dad got us Power Basic. Brother quit, I didn't. :)

I remember signing up for junior college when I was 14; I hadn't really put any thought into degree types, so since I loved computers I just went for CS. Got associates and bachelors in CS, programming games in my free time all the while.

These days, I work as a developer for software apps full-time and try to work on my games and sites and videos when I have the energy.

So... motivation...

Programming is like nothing else out there. Especially if you're working on a game or simulation, it's like creating your own world. It is a form of creative expression. It's a puzzle of logic (programming and structure), but also aesthetics (music and art), flow (finding just the right gameplay), and organization (software development). I love all of it, though what I want to do at any one time varies. :)

Lately I've been wondering if I'd have a lot more time to program if I stopped doing videos. I also wonder if I'd get a lot more done if my stuff were closed-source (I have a lot of doubt in everything I do, so that would take away the anxiety toward potential public humiliation).
Even though I'm very self-conscious about my code, my video presentation skills, and peoples' perceptions of me, I still code, make videos, and stay social.

Blahblahblah, rambley.

I guess another big motivator is feeling like there should be free, open tools out there, and gaining knowledge is important. I want to make sure what I do provides people with more than just a utility, but also a means to learn to make their own. Not to mention, with cheap tools comes less-hindered creativity, and that's important, too.

Uh, so... Motivation to make games...
Learning, Creative expression, challenge, teaching, socializing, and a sense of purpose.

I also consider Game Programming to be a "gateway drug" to other forms of Programming, Technology, Science, Math, and learning in general. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:18 pm 
Larc
Larc

Moosader wrote:
Lately I've been wondering if I'd have a lot more time to program if I stopped doing videos. I also wonder if I'd get a lot more done if my stuff were closed-source (I have a lot of doubt in everything I do, so that would take away the anxiety toward potential public humiliation).
Even though I'm very self-conscious about my code, my video presentation skills, and peoples' perceptions of me, I still code, make videos, and stay social.

Don't ever stop - it's your ability to do that what makes you a rather unique individual. We all say we're going to do these things but you're the only one who actually commits to it. You never give the impression of spreading yourself thin. I'm sure the other members of this community'll agree, you're amazing. I know that my own self conciousness gets in the way of me releasing a lot of things, and what this also means is that things rarely leave the ideas stage, y'know? Keep it up.

Moosader wrote:
I guess another big motivator is feeling like there should be free, open tools out there, and gaining knowledge is important. I want to make sure what I do provides people with more than just a utility, but also a means to learn to make their own. Not to mention, with cheap tools comes less-hindered creativity, and that's important, too.

Love it, love every last word of it.

Moosader wrote:
Ploe wrote:

Gotta love the code 'tang! ;D

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:34 pm 
Goomba
Goomba

Moosader wrote:

Absolutely!

I definitely agree with this.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/iAmCodeMonkey