The Moosader Community

Visit the IRC at irc.freenode.net #Moosader! Community dedicated to programming and game development! Moosader.com
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What motivates you?
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:40 pm 
Psychonaut

I do it because it's fun, experimental, I can express myself, and create a world of my own.

Plus, the ladies love it 8-) .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:04 am 
Koopa
Koopa

Mostly because game programming is challenging, interesting, and above all its damn fun to put a game project together and hope it works.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:22 pm 
Eater of Comics
Eater of Comics

I myself just like to have something to do. I like to get feedback from the community. I really like the group aspect of it, but at the same time I love that I can just lock myself away in a room with some caffeine and music and just pump out something of my own creation. Its always nice to look at other people's projects when you're discouraged about your own.

I really miss writing up tutorials and helping other coders. I've been away from it for so long that I don't quite trust myself giving advice right now, but after a couple months of working on projects I should be back in the game :D

BlackPhantom wrote:
"And the lord said let there be videos! And he saw it was awesome." -Awsome 1:12

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:57 pm 
Smushed Goomba
Smushed Goomba

What motivates me?

Hmmm.. All my younger brothers playing the games I create with happy faces is just priceless (I'm the eldest though :D ).. Before i got into computer stuff (C++, web), I'm not usually active, but I used to create dice games with custom players from cartoon series we my brothers look into. In summer, in the farm of my grandparents, I was actively maintaining a lone race track for our mountain bikes but now I've been busy in my studies so now, the grasses grow thick and long and the race track was covered.

Ahahaha lol such a history :D Now back in track, the things that really motivates me are the happiness found in others, a real challenge to oneself, learning patience within, and mostly the inner and outer joys of accomplishing the above things :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:01 am 
Goomba
Goomba

Hi,
I am trying to learn c++ for over 4 years now, but I haven't been able to do very much,
because I am in the 10th grade of grammar school.
But I've always wanted to make things which are very logical. I don't know why, but I like to make things and figure out problems if it doesn't work.
And I am very happy that I can finally program a bit, so that I can begin creating simple games with allegro :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:01 pm 
Smushed Goomba
Smushed Goomba

My motivation probably just comes from the fact that since I was a baby I've been around computers and when I got old enough I started to play a lot of games on the house computer. My dad would install emulators so that I could play games like duke nukem, doom, and/or sonic. I grew up with those games and I was always curious as to how they were made so when I turned 12..I think I started learning how to program in c++ and I haven't looked back since ^_^

It's been an awesome learning experience and I guess that's what sort of drives me now.
I guess the power of creation at your fingertips kinda helps too :D
It's definitely a great feeling to be make your dreams and ideas come into fruition.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:40 am 
Rather Dashing
Rather Dashing

I grew up with games, and I consider myself a Nintendo kid. My mother always bought my brother and me a bunch of games for Nintendo & Sony platforms, even when she could barely afford them. These got me hooked on games in general, but I don't think I'd be as far into them as I am now if I hadn't found game maker at 13.

I have a tendency to throw my entire being at a project, often leaving myself completely exhausted for weeks afterwards. I code because it's an amazing feeling I get, watching something in my head form in front of me. Games are the hardest possible thing I can ever make, so it's natural that it'd be what I want to do more than anything.

I'm also very vain when it comes to my code and design skills. I want recognition from what I've done, and I hope I can get a few thousand downloads on a game sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:50 am 
Koopa
Koopa

Feedback. It's my fuel. Be it from others or just visual feedback from e.g. my game. I can not go a long time without feedback, it just.. demotivates me and I don't feel like continuing. Not the case in bug squashing, though. I oddly love to fix bugs.

I don't know what Folkeskole (The Peoples School or School of the People, very commie-ish name, no?) in Denmark translates to in the States, but it basically ranges from 0th grade to 9th grade, but you can get an optional 10th grade (not going to take it though, it's 9th over again). So it's kinda.. it's the first school, you go there from when you're, I dunno, 4 or 5 years old to you're about 15 or 16. Then you go to gym. So it's kinda elementary? I don't know.

You can also call it Grundskole, it translates into Elementary School. Folkeskole is the elementary school funded by the state.

Pretty weird that it took me longer to explain where I am in the school system than it took me to explain what motivates me :P

// nordbjerg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:08 am 
Larc
Larc

nordbjerg wrote:
Feedback. It's my fuel. Be it from others or just visual feedback from e.g. my game. I can not go a long time without feedback, it just.. demotivates me and I don't feel like continuing. Not the case in bug squashing, though. I oddly love to fix bugs.

I don't know what Folkeskole (The Peoples School or School of the People, very commie-ish name, no?) in Denmark translates to in the States, but it basically ranges from 0th grade to 9th grade, but you can get an optional 10th grade (not going to take it though, it's 9th over again). So it's kinda.. it's the first school, you go there from when you're, I dunno, 4 or 5 years old to you're about 15 or 16. Then you go to gym. So it's kinda elementary? I don't know.

You can also call it Grundskole, it translates into Elementary School. Folkeskole is the elementary school funded by the state.

Pretty weird that it took me longer to explain where I am in the school system than it took me to explain what motivates me :P

// nordbjerg

Here in the UK we call Folkeskole: State Schools, and privates ones are (with a sense of irony) Public Schools.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:27 pm 
Compo 9 Winner - Super Cool Guy!
Compo 9 Winner - Super Cool Guy!

It's only been very recently that I've decided to try to make games for myself. I have zero programming experience, as well as zero experience in digital art/music/sound. Every aspect of this stuff is new to me.

My motivation comes in part from indie developer Anna Anthropy. In her book, Rise of the Videogame Zinesters, she argues that everyone should make games. Big games, little games, bad games, queer games, personal games. For too long the medium has been the exclusive property of those privileged enough to be on the inside of it, and she advocates for more games made by more people using whatever tools they can find.

So, I've decided that I should get off of the sidelines (my involvement with games has been mostly as a critic) and jump into the fray to see what I can make. My goal is not to make games professionally, or even to make games that people will like - my goal is to simply make the games I want to make.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next