The Moosader Community

Visit the IRC at irc.freenode.net #Moosader! Community dedicated to programming and game development! Moosader.com
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

This looks sweet as fuck: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

I'm going to back it because I really love the idea. I still feel iffy since I've backed a lot and nothing has came out yet (just been funding stuff as of this year so only been less than 7 months for everything).

I backed enough to get a console myself. If this comes through, I can see it really making a dent in my Xbox 360 and Wii spending. I can also see myself finally getting momentum in Android development so I can make real games, not little casual mobile games.
I'd like to see an official website, or something that more easily marks it as legitimate. Closer to the funding date, I might reduce my funding to something low ($10?) if its legitimacy seems a bit hazy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:10 pm 
Black Mage
Black Mage

Damn it Moosader. How am I supposed to get into web dev if you post this eye candy to distract me for the rest of the year :P. Great link and will definitely keep updated on it. I do love how Brian Fargo on there after his huge success with Kickstarter. Just backed it for $25, should be able to do that with no problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:49 am 
Rather Dashing
Rather Dashing

My mother won't let me back this thing, because, of course, it could be a scam. Also, $130 is a lot of cash.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

Ratstail91 wrote:
My mother won't let me back this thing, because, of course, it could be a scam. Also, $130 is a lot of cash.

Yeah, I'm going to keep an eye on it. Once it's closer to the funding date, I may withdraw based on what kind of content is out there for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:13 am 
Larc
Larc

I'm cynical about this. It might be my own aversion to Android and Java Development. A Linux-based console is something I've been itching for for some time, I guess it's too good to be true. I'll be happy once I see the gaming press with a hands-on experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Ploe wrote:
I'm cynical about this. It might be my own aversion to Android and Java Development. A Linux-based console is something I've been itching for for some time, I guess it's too good to be true. I'll be happy once I see the gaming press with a hands-on experience.

Not a fan of Android SDK and Java, either. Weighing my risks, Unity seems like the best bet- learn a handy tool, learn 3D modeling with Blender like I've been meaning to, and if the OUYA crashes and burns, I still have a working PC game.

I hate that it can be so hard to code in one language and have it be portable between computers, phones, and consoles.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:37 pm 
Larc
Larc

Moosader wrote:
Not a fan of Android SDK and Java, either. Weighing my risks, Unity seems like the best bet- learn a handy tool, learn 3D modeling with Blender like I've been meaning to, and if the OUYA crashes and burns, I still have a working PC game.

Yeah... portability gives me a stonk on too. At the moment I use C and SDL, however with Android being Java-based that's stuck a spanner in them works. My tool of choice for the longest time was Flash, but even good old Flash seems to be losing its potency these days. Then of course there's the hobbyist aspect, where you want to learn a language/tool with some practical application, with the path of least resistance and is a lot of fun to work in.

What is appealing about a machine like the OUYA/Android, iOS, GP2X or even retro homebrew? </rhetoric> Probably that there's a definite community of people your game can be exposed to and that there's the possibility of being paid for the fruits of your labour... The PC has all that, y'know. I know it isn't just that that makes us geeks hard for making different machines tick - a lot of it is just to see if we can.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

Ploe wrote:
What is appealing about a machine like the OUYA/Android, iOS, GP2X or even retro homebrew? </rhetoric> Probably that there's a definite community of people your game can be exposed to and that there's the possibility of being paid for the fruits of your labour... The PC has all that, y'know. I know it isn't just that that makes us geeks hard for making different machines tick - a lot of it is just to see if we can.

I think people underestimate the importance of the form-factor and point of a machine.

I have my gaming PC at my television, but how many other people do? Normally, it's a huge pain in the ass to move your tower around the house, so I've submitted my gaming machine to be exclusively a TV-based system.

The entire point of OUYA:
  • Everyone will have it by their TV, for play on TV
  • Same system specs for everybody, save mods
  • Limited marketplace- this gives you an advantage vs PC

I think that's really what it boils down to. How am I going to compete with a PC game, vs being one of the first out for the launch of a new platform?
With a specific marketplace (Steam), you can have certain games advertised to a common audience, etc. etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

OUYA News:

Prequel to Human Element announced as an OUYA-Exclusive game.
Quote:
Robotoki is the first studio to commit to building a game exclusively for OUYA: an episodic prequel that will set the stage for his eventual release of Human Element in 2015.

Final Fantasy 3 for OUYA
Quote:
This morning, we are honored to announce that OUYA is partnering with Square Enix to bring you one of the most beloved franchises in gaming -- Final Fantasy. We will kick this off with Final Fantasy III, which will be a launch title on OUYA. This will be the first time gamers outside of Japan can play FFIII on their televisions through a console.

But that’s not the end of it: We’re promising to deliver Final Fantasy III like you’ve never seen it before – Hironobu Sakaguchi’s third installment in the role playing game franchise will be updated to exploit OUYA’s high-definition resolution in glorious graphic detail. For those of you who are new to Final Fantasy, we’ll offer a free demo so you can give it a go!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:05 pm 
Goblin
Goblin

If you want to see their website go here: http://www.ouya.tv. I thought I'd check out the moosader forum to see if there was any mention of this up-coming console. And hey, there was. So this is my post.

I also have a question. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Where do I start if I want to develop for this console. I'm assuming the Android SDK, but are there any graphics libraries or anything that I will also need to make games? Any suggestions appreciated.

I do have a "Galaxy Tab 2 7.0" that I can tinker with (using the Android SDK) until the actual OUYA console is released (supposively March of 2013). Also, I saw the mention of using Unity. That is out of the question, because I'm in Linux. So, it's time to roll up my sleeves and start digging, I guess.

Since Moosader is also a fancible teacher, who, I believe has done some game programming for smart-phones and such... Maybe...just maybe, she could point me in the right direction so I can start tinkering with graphical programming on my tablet.