The Moosader Community

Visit the IRC at irc.freenode.net #Moosader! Community dedicated to programming and game development! Moosader.com
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:47 pm 
Snap Dragon
Snap Dragon

'The Girl and the Scarf' was a project started by me sometime during March of 2013. Over the course of two years, a lot has been changed, redone, and replanned. I've gone through many engines, and many character designs for this game. I'm still going at it.

So what's the plan?
I plan to finish this game, even if it takes me forever. My goal was originally to finish a project, and I'm choosing to stick by this one.

But what about all of the work you previously done?
If you didn't know, it was originally coded in Gamemaker Studio, which is really not the best software out there. It's good, but not great. Plus, it doesn't really use any major language that other applications use, like C#, C++, Python, Java, etc. GML is limited, clunky and not well documented. Also the fact that GMS itself is not very reliable. I've had it crash countless times trying to save, or just editing a line of code. I'm moving away from it.

So what will you be coding TGWTS in then?
My plan is to code it in C#. I'm not exactly sure which framework I will be using as of yet, but I've been experimenting. I'm currently looking towards XNA/Monogame and Unity.

What is the game about?
The story has to be rewritten, but I can give a brief short intro to what it would be like, though it is subject to change.

"The sun shone brightly above our fair land of [LAND]. The recent raging wars have ended, and everyone was at peace. Suddenly, the sky grew dark, wind started picking up, and people started vanishing. This is what I have been told, and I tried to stay out of whatever was happening, but I was inevitably dragged right into the middle of it all..."

The game is meant out to be an Action Platformer, with some RPG elements and puzzles as well. Most of the focus is Action and Platforming however.

Who are the characters?
There are two confirmed main characters, and possibly another less important character confirmed. The main protagonist goes by the name of Bufanda.

Do you have any screenshots?
Of the new engine? No, not currently, as it was just recently started and won\'t be polished for a little while. Older screenshots, I do have, but they aren\'t going to be accurate.
OLD SCREENSHOTS

Why are you taking so long to release this game??!?!? I want to play it now!!
Please bear with me. I am a very busy individual, who goes to college, and tries to work, while drawing and coding while I can. Because of many technical difficulties, limitations, etc, I've been pushed way behind actual schedule for this game. Fear not though, as I do plan on finishing it!

Last edited by Rexx on Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:00 pm 
Undine
Undine

The file download doesn't work but I like the graphics. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:36 pm 
Psychonaut

Yeah the download link isn't working, or should I say the link works but the file isn't downloadable as Sendspace says there's an error they are working out. The graphics ( as previously said ) are very interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:37 pm 
Goomba
Goomba

The graphics look adorable, I'll probably just cry and scream on the platform / puzzle elements but I can't wait to try it. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:40 pm 
Snap Dragon
Snap Dragon

Here is an alternate DL that is hosted on my website, so it shouldn't go down anytime soon.

http://gamebit.webatu.com/downloads/aga ... -02-20.zip

Also, be sure to support this game on IndieDB! http://www.indiedb.com/games/a-girl-and-her-scarf/

A Girl and Her Scarf Developer

Come join the newest gaming community! GameBit!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:30 pm 
Snap Dragon
Snap Dragon

I should be coming out with a new build release soon, with some bug fixes and some more features, including but not limited to :
    Rotating planets
    Swinging planets
    Zooming
    Character animation

Also. I should mention that I am looking for some help in creating this game, as it would be very helpful and would push the game into a closer release date. Currently, I am looking for : Coders, Musicians, Writers, and Designers. All help is appreciated. If you cannot help with development, please let others know of this game, as they may be able to help. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:58 am 
Snap Dragon
Snap Dragon

Alright. Good news bad news time. Good news is that the second release is out, but nothing really new. Why? Well first off, after thinking about what I was going to do with my game, I realized that the planetary thing wouldn't work out too well with what I had planned. So I scrapped that and started writing again, creating a new engine and setting everything up. So really, if anything, this is the first release AGAIN. It's just a simple test room with untextured tiles and a background. Some new additions like Zooming were adding into this build, but are far from perfect.

http://gamebit.webatu.com/downloads/AGi ... .0.0.2.zip

Changelog
Code:
Build_02
-Trashed old build. Rebuilt new engine and started on game again.
-Added zoom function. Use with numpad - and +.
-Some animations are off, but are already being worked on.
-Added double jump feature. Not known if it will be used or not.

So yeah, have fun with this one?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:15 pm 
Snap Dragon
Snap Dragon

Some concept art for the character. A name has been decided for her. It's Bufanda.

Character (Bufanda) Sheet updated. Sprites look nicer, correct skin tone and some additional frames.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:04 am 
Snap Dragon
Snap Dragon

Release! Build 03

Code:
Build_03
-Tileset added
-Backgrounds added
-More bugs squashed
-Slopes implemented. Not finished.
-Weather engine implemented. Not yet randomized.
-You can now die after falling down a 'endless pit'

Download : http://gamebit.webatu.com/downloads/The ... .0.0.3.zip

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:04 am 
Psychonaut

Works good for me here running it with Wine 1.6.1 under Ubuntu 12.04.

One thing I'm noticing in this new build is the character gets stuck sometimes when going up or down the hills. You can jump to get out but I thought I'd bring it up. I'm loving the artwork you have for the game already ( especially the profile picture you have ).